- Dr. Greg has extensive training in oral sleep appliances
- Sleep better & protect your overall health
- Get an effective alternative to a CPAP machine
Are you fed up with waking up tired? If you get out of bed feeling like you haven’t slept, or if you suffer from fatigue, depression, or mood swings, then you could be suffering from sleep apnea in Cary. Dr. Greg Mayes is well-equipped to help with your sleep apnea symptoms. He has extensive training in oral sleep appliance treatments and is experienced in diagnosing oral and systemic conditions associated with obstructive airway disease. He has completed a mini-residency in dental sleep medicine and has taken hours of additional continuing education classes on sleep apnea and obstructive airway disease, all to provide his patients with the best care possible. Treatment from Dr. Mayes will make it possible to:Get A Good Night's Rest Read Transcript
Get A Good Night's Rest
Sleep apnea affects a lot of people. They may not even be aware of it. But sleep apnea decreases the quality of someone's sleep. If we're not getting the quality of sleep, the patient is tired. They may think they got enough sleep that night before, but the quality wasn't there. So they are sleepy. They sit down, they'll tend to fall asleep fairly quickly. If we can help them with that, we can improve their sleep quality so that during the day they are more refreshed, they're more awake and they just feel better. I mean sleep is the body's way of restoring us for the next day and if we don't get that sleep, we just feel drained.
So not only that, patients who have sleep apnea, many times their bed partners are kept awake at night. Some people have to sleep in separate rooms. So we can improve their quality of life by helping them get the sleep that they need. It can be treated in multiple ways and we work with physicians to come up with the best option for them. There are C-PAP type machines and there are oral appliances and they both have their uses and we need to come up with what's the best for them.
- Feel better upon waking up
- Have more energy throughout the day
- Be more productive at work
- Lessen your risk of serious health problems
- Reduce the frequency and intensity of your headaches
- Eliminate your snoring
Don’t Get Robbed of Your Sleep
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), the most common type of sleep apnea, can deprive you of much-needed sleep. This condition is treatable, however, using a custom oral device that we can have made for you. All you have to do is wear the appliance while you sleep, and it will help keep your airway open.
OSA occurs when your airway becomes temporarily blocked while sleeping. Here’s how the process works:
- Your tongue and other soft tissues in the back of your throat relax to the point that they block your airflow.
- The result is that you quit breathing for a few seconds until your brain signals your body to wake up and take in more oxygen.
- After taking a few normal breaths, you drift back to sleep – all without being aware of any problem.
- For severe sufferers of sleep apnea, this cycle can repeat itself dozens of times each hour, or hundreds of times per night.
Our appliance will stop the symptoms of sleep apnea so you can get the high-quality sleep you need to function daily. It will also reduce or eliminate snoring, as snoring is caused by air passing across those soft tissues.
Sleep apnea has been linked to other serious health problems like high blood pressure, heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, and depression. Treating your sleep apnea symptoms now can lessen your risk of developing or worsening these conditions.
We can help with your Cary sleep apnea and snoring. Call Preston Dental Center today at 919-460-0963 to schedule a consultation. You can also use our online form to request an appointment or a time for your regular checkup.